Calligraphy Elbow was created by Master Zhen Hua Yang based on Yang Mian – his family martial art system dating back to 17th century China.
Masters of martial arts
Master Yang’s ancestors guarded the emperor, their knowledge being passed only amongst the family through ongoing generations. Master Yang was the first family member to be granted permission to share the Yang Mian system with others. For many years he was fulfilling his duty by passing on his family martial art system to his students, but his life’s purpose and passion was in teaching people health and compassion. It is health and compassion that lie at the heart of the Calligraphy Elbow practice.
From martial arts to health
Master Yang after many years of publicly teaching martial arts, came to a decision to shift his focus to developing human health and wellbeing and to continue sharing his martial art skills publicly with women only. Calligraphy Elbow is a result of his lifelong knowledge of both: martial arts and human health. When done slowly it’s a moving meditation. When done with speed it becomes a tool of self-defense.
The basic moves of Calligraphy Elbow System includes 10 pairs of elbows that are powered by instant, explosive power and connected through 3-dimensional link at the lower Dantian. In total, this system contains 26 pairs of elbows. As you move through each elbow the understanding requires deeper knowledge and feeling but becomes more explosive as a result of this. Each elbow can be linked to ‘Dantian Fa Jin’ or instant internal explosive power. As a general rule to this system, Master Zhen Hua Yang only teaches the first 10 pairs of elbows to his Yang Mian students. This is due to the fact that the preceding 16 elbows progressively become more dangerous.
Artistic in nature
These Calligraphy Elbows can be linked to other systems including Steel Body, Calligraphy Grappling and Reflex Mind. This system gives an exceptional result for smaller male and female practitioners. This is due to the sharp and heavy nature of elbowing and the base power behind their delivery. The linking of these elbows is artistic in nature, looking like you are sculpting or painting.
The Calligraphy Elbow System has three separate levels of development, shown below;
- Basic elbows: this is each elbow being generated from the Dantian, with a power sound. This is the foundation of the elbow system.
- Linked elbows: this is the elbows joined together in 3 to 7 linked movements. This training creates an automatic response in an attack situation with one elbow hooking onto the next. The minimum delivery time for three elbows is one second.
- Dragon Elbow: this is all the elbows linked together, through unbroken three-dimensional movement. These elbows are generated from within the Dantian and are merely a shadow of it. Because of the ‘wave-like’ pressure and speed generated by Dragon Elbow, an attacker will be over-whelmed as each one cuts and sculpts their body.
Master Yang’s purpose of teaching Calligraphy Elbow is no longer in the martial arts aspect, but in its wellbeing potential, beneficial especially to women. This practice is based not on muscle strength but on the power and the movement coming from your center, which in this case means lower Dantian and your internal organs. This movement will enhance blood circulation and start an internal healing process that will bring your body systems back to balance with time and practice.
- Through moving from your center you will naturally enhance your intestinal function and help your digestive issues.
- Connecting to your inner power will give you the self-confidence and trust in yourself that can be taken with you into any daily tasks or challenges.
- These movements open the body up, release tension as well as bring the body back to its natural state. Natural state means the real beauty of a vibrant, elastic and full-of-life body.
- With time and practice, this art leads to “no-mind” – movements that don’t require any conscious thinking process. This level of ability will directly influence your decision-making process and intuition in your everyday life.
- It is beneficial in healing internal scars after pregnancy or surgeries performed on the abdominal area.
- This practice brings clarity, peacefulness, and joy. It soothes the effects of prolonged stress and anxiety by bringing the body to a balanced state.
This practice is not only unique and powerful but also beautiful, resembling the continuous flow of a calligraphy brush on paper.